I just noticed a new VSO blog aggregator, VSO Journals. It’s not an official VSO venture, though word has it they’re working on their own version as well. I think I read somewhere that the dude who started it was a VSO volunteer once, but I can’t remember where I saw it. Anyways, the site was created to collect all VSO blogs in one place. It’s fascinating to know that there are other dudes and dudettes out there right now in Africa, Asia, South America, etc blogging away. The Internet is crazy. I encourage you to go read some blogs, post some comments, and tell your friends.
On a side note, I am now realizing how uncreative I was in naming this website. The “__(insert name)__ in __(insert country)__” naming scheme is very popular. I guess the main bonus is the ease of memorization. The down side is that you end up sounding really unoriginal… I promise I truly thought I was being cute when I picked this site’s first name: http://sarainkenya.org. It’s turned out to be a popular trend in naming; from memory, for starters:
- Alan in Kenya: alaninkenya.org
- Pat in Kenya: patinkenya.blogspot.com
- Kev in Tanzania: kev-in-tanzania.blogspot.com
- Matt in Kenya: mattinkenya.blogspot.com
- Tina in Rwanda: tinainrwanda.blogspot.com
- Rebecca Goes to Africa: rebeccagoestoafrica.blogspot.com (not exactly, but still follows a similar trend; possibly a reference to Mr. Smith Goes to Washington)
Also of interest, Peace Corps Journals. If you’re ever bored or curious, just go poke around these sites to see what some other people are doing in other corners of the world.